Lessons from 2008
Reflecting on 2008, I have noticed that I have learned a few skills which I believe are important:
- Have the courage to challenge your beliefs and opinions: Don't make assumptions based on what you know or have been brought up to believe is correct. Always have an open mind and listen to the opinions of others, but do not necessarily embrace all concepts.
- Have patience in looking for what you want: Rome wasn't built in a day, and your life will not be either. Take time researching and preparing for the job/career you want and enjoy the journey. I spent a lot of time this year unemployed because I was not prepared to compromise on my goal of obtaining a position that would provide me with the experience I desired. You shouldn't either.
- Consistently save a portion of your income: I have known and practiced this on and off for years, but it still remains vital to success. Try and save at least 10% of your income for long-term investing, whether it be in property, shares, businesses or a combination thereof.
- Be honest when you are wrong, and quickly work to resolve any situation: Whether in a heated debate with a friend or a mistake you have made at work; accept responsibility and sort out the issue. Take action and show you have tried to resolve problems with integrity and you will go a long way.
- Ensure a healthy balance between mental, physical and spiritual aspects of life: Having a balance is essential to ensuring that you live a happy and satisfied life.
- If at first you don't succeed, try again: This is especially true for me as an ex-smoker. A few times throughout the year I have picked up smoking again but I always continue to try and quit by putting it down again. This allowed me to not smoke for eight months overall last year, and I will be aiming higher this year. Persistence is the key to conquering bad habits.
- Diligently Plan: Planning weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc. will help you to move a lot faster towards your destination. By having goals and plans, you are more likely to achieve you aims than you would without them.
- Have fun: Life is too short to be serious all the time. Let your hair down every now and then and try to smile and laugh everyday.